Monday, July 13, 2009

Assignment 2

Less is more

This assignment is to create one pictogram for NUS community and this pictogram will be placed in the NUS campus.

Step 1: Degree of Abstraction

I decided to use an escalator as I thought NUS needs it really badly since we have so many stairs and its really tiring to climb up the stairs especially when you are running for the next class!

To my horror, I was on the wrong track all the while because I thought we were supposed to come up with a pictogram that will help to improve the school! Gosh! Therefore, I decided to use a stairs since its slightly similar to my escalator example.

Update!

I decided to use my original idea which is to use create a pictogram of lifts. This is because I realised that as a freshie, I didnt know where the lifts were located and I didnt know until my friends told me about it. Thus, I've been climbing stairs when I could take the lift up! This could be due to the fact that there are not many lifts in NUS. I think this lift pictogram could be place in areas whereby there are alot of stairs such as the Business Library whereby a pictogram could be placed at the stairs there to indicate where the lift is so that people do not have to climb up all the stairs to get to the Business Canteen but actually take the lift up and then walk straight to the Business Canteen.

I decided to use the 5th picture as my prototype because with the up and down buttons, people would be able to identify it as a lift whereas for the last picture, it can be seen as 2 planks of wood that are placed side by side. Thus, it looks like that:

No comments:

Post a Comment